25.1.06

Good Wine And Cheese Don’t Go Together?

Oh my god, it’s the end of the world as I know it! All is lost! My senses are numb with shock and my lips tremble in despair. My darkest hour is upon me as it would seem that one of favourite past times is under assult by the boffins.

The New Scientist Magazine recently reported the following findings:

Don’t waste good wine if you are eating cheese. The magazine shows the wine buff’s favourite accompaniment masks the complex flavours of wine.

Researchers at the department of viticulture and oenology at the University of California asked a team of wine tatsters to evaluate cheap and expensive versions of four different red wines.

After cheese, the wines were judged to taste flatter, with pinot noir, shiraz and cabernet sauvignon all deemed to have lost flavour.

The scientists believe proteins in cheese might bind to flavour compounds in wineand make them harder to taste. "


Hmmmmmm!

Cheese has presented many dilemmas in its time even to leaders of the free world:

“How can you govern a country which has 246 varieties of cheese? “
--Charles De Gaulle

Personally I think the wine has little choice in my world but to continue to suffer, as nothing in this world gives me more happiness than a big chunk of Rocquefort or Mimolette washed down with a glass of vintage 1997 Barolo or 2000 Margaux. I’ll drink to that!

No comments: