28.2.02

Spike Milligan - We Will Miss You!

Unfortunately this month I won’t be including a book review as the ones I would most like to cover are on loan at the moment. Hence I have no passages to quote. Maybe next month. This month...``And now for something completely different! ´´

I thought as tribute to one of my favourite comedians I would include some small gems from that comic genius who was Spike Milligan. Grandfather of Monty Python, Ripping Yarns, Q shows and all the inherent silliness that became the trademark of British comedy. His passing marks not only the end of an era in comedy but also an end to a life which gave us over 60 books as well as countless films and radio shows. ``The Last Goon Show of All´´, was one thing but the last goon of all is something else altogether. You may recall him in ``The Life Of Brian´´, as the man in the crowd scene holding the shoe who gets trampled by the thronging masses. It is something of a sad moment, to reflect on so many funny moments and anecdotes and the endless laughter over the years. I hope you enjoy these extracts even if they are known to you already. Farewell Eccles, Henry and Min! From the pen of Spike some quotes and poems...


Teeth
English Teeth, English Teeth!
Shining in the sun
A part of British heritage
Aye, each and every one.

English Teeth, Happy Teeth!
Always having fun
Champing down on bits of fish
And sausages half done.

English Teeth, HEROES’ Teeth
Hear them click and clack!
Lets sing a song of praise to them –
Three cheers for the Brown Grey and Black.


``Money can’t buy you friends but it can buy you a better class of enemy! ´´

``It was a perfect marriage. She didn’t want to and he couldn’t. ´´

``I thought I’d begin by reading a poem by Shakespeare, but then I thought, why should I? He never reads any of mine. ´´

``My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic. ´´

``I don’t mind dying. I just don’t want to be there when it happens. ´´

His requested epitaph on his tomb.... ``I told you I was ill! ´´

After receiving a CBE in 1992.... ``I can’t see the sense in it really. It makes me a Commander Of the British Empire. They might as well make me a Commander of Milton Keynes. At least that exists. ´´
Celebrating his 75th birthday.... ``When I look back, the fondest memory I have is not really of The Goons. It is of a girl called Julia with enormous breasts. ´´

In reply to Prince Charles on a letter praising his lifetime achievement comedy award...``Little grovelling bastard. ´´


There was a young man named Wyatt
Whose voice was exceedingly quiet
And then one day
It faded away
.................

Said Hamlet to Ophelia,
I’ll do a sketch of thee,
What kind of pencil shall I use,
2B or not 2B?

And last but not least his key phrase

``You silly twisted boy. ´´

No comments: