24.7.02

My Deutschland 1st Anniversary

Well I’ve been a little bit busy over the last few weeks so the Blog traffic has slowed somewhat. Hopefully things will slowly settle in and time will once again be on my side. The daily trips to Frankfurt almost seem to be second nature now and the public transport is generally spot-on except when there are protests, visiting foreign dignitaries, road works or some such to screw it all up.

Our launch into summer was fairly dramatic with temperatures soaring into the mid thirties for over a week only to be followed with several weeks of grey gloom. The last two weeks have been particularly mundane with showers, electrical storms and blustering winds. The wonderful blooms of spring scattered to all points of the compass. I guess you can’t expect the balmy endless waves of warmth that are so common in an Australian summer to be a part of the European experience.

It is coming up to the end of my first year here and in reflection I have to say that I am both very pleased at the way things have gone so far and also shocked at how very, very different it has all been from whatever it was I had at first expected. I realise that this is generally always the case wherever and when ever I throw myself in at the deep end but I guess this was just a little bit more of a loop the loop given the language barrier and subsequent problems with securing work. True to form however fortune favours the brave and I find myself with a future looking brighter than it has for a very long time. It is the first time ever that I am reasonably able to make some long-term plans which might be realistically attainable. Year two shall certainly be the telling of all if I can manage to secure and maintain the current stable arrangements, which are so favoursome to my well-being at the present moment.

No comments: