6.6.02

Spechen Sie Deutsch?

I have now completed my first 13 week language course which I have to say has raised many more questions than answers. By gad what a dastardly language it is.

The golden rule is that there are no rules and you must learn the way of it more by the general melody rather than by hard and fast grammatical rules. Mein Gott !!!! As my work has several different start times I cannot enrol in any of the standard evening courses on offer as I would miss 2 out of every three due to finishing work at different hours. I have decided to commit 2 single weeks a year of my 10 weeks annual leave to doing intensive week-long courses. At least every six months I will have something new to chew on as well as being able to upgrade to different levels if I find that my skills have improved dramatically since the last course.

All told though I am surprised at just how much I am able to understand and read day to day. It is more the speaking part that is proving awkward given the weird tonal inflections which alone separate one meaning from another. Onwards and outwards irrespective. Do or die in Deutschland !

No comments: